Best Dish of January 2016 Meatless Monday Vegan Potluck
Submtted by Deborah Garrow
1/2 cup shortening or Earth balance Vegan Buttery sticks
8 TBS Earth balance vegan buttery sticks
1 cup Flour
2 cup Semolina
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking powder
1/4 cup. Granulated sugar
1 TBS Rose water
1 TBS Orange water
7 TBS Water
- Melt butter/shortening in sauce pan and cool slightly. Do not boil.
- Combine flour, semolina, salt, baking powder and granulated sugar.
- Rub melted butter into dry mixture. I prefer to use a wooden spoon and take care not to overwork the dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel and let rest in bowl on counter overnight.
- In the morning, combine the scented and plain water (be sure to use cold water) and drizzle over the dough and combine with a fork.
- Pat down and let rest another hour.
- Dust a Maamoul mold with flour and place about a tablespoon size ball of dough and press to shape of mold.
- Fill with date mixture and turn out on cookie sheet
- Bake at 325 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet and let sugar.
1/2 cup Date paste
6 TBS Vegan buttery sticks
Combine in saucepan and stir together on very low heat until blended but still of paste consistency
Orange water, and additional spices can be added to taste